Back Pain Symptoms
HackensackUMC: Accurately Diagnosing Back Pain Symptoms
Back pain is best defined as any type of pain or discomfort that you feel between your lower neck and your tailbone on the backside of your body. Sudden, sharp or stabbing back pain is known as acute back pain, while chronic back pain builds gradually and may last for months. Chronic back pain may also feel more dull or achy.
When you experience signs of back pain in Hackensack, NJ, the trustworthy diagnoses and treatments you’re looking for are nearby at HackensackUMC.
Common Symptoms Associated with Back Pain
Some patients experience these symptoms along with their back pain:
- Pain in the neck, shoulder or hip
- Pain that runs through the buttocks and down one leg
- Swelling, redness or warmth in the back
- Stiffness and trouble moving
- Difficulty sleeping or fatigue
- Anxiety or depression
We suggest seeing a specialist at HackensackUMC if your back pain is severe, persistent or affecting your daily activities.
Causes of Back Pain
Some causes of back pain are problems within the back itself, including the structures of the spine and nerves, muscles and ligaments.
Common issues can include the following:
- Muscle strain and spasms from an injury, overuse, or sudden and forceful movements
- Disc problems, including compression or bulging
- Osteoporosis and other conditions that affect the bones of the spine, such as osteomyelitis
- Arthritis, including osteoarthritis of the spine and ankylosing spondylitis
- Spinal alignment problems, such as scoliosis
Diagnosing the Cause of Back Pain at HackensackUMC
The doctors at HackensackUMC will diagnose the cause of your back pain by evaluating your symptoms, conducting a physical exam, and going over your medical history and recent physical activity. If nonsurgical treatment options, such as over-the-counter pain medicine or exercises, do not work, spine surgery may be your best option.
When back pain affects your quality of life, turn to the experts at HackensackUMC. We’ll work to get you a reliable diagnosis and recommend treatment to get you back on your feet. Contact us through our online form or call 844-229-BACK to learn more.
HackensackUMC is a reliable resource for identifying and treating back pain symptoms in Hackensack, NJ and the surrounding areas.